Tuesday, April 3, 2012

No, really, I hate the Flyers

I recently had an argument with a friend about whether or not I'm entitled to hate the Philidelphia Flyers as much as I do.

My friend, a New Jersey Devils fan, mentioned that he planned on throwing a party should the Flyers emerge victorious from a potential Flyers-Penguins first round series.  I told him that the Flyers were my New York Yankees of hockey: they must lose in the playoffs, at any cost, no matter what despicable franchise I have to root for (I'm looking at you, Phillies).

My friend was enraged.  "You haven't watched the Rangers long enough to feel that way.  And you've had nothing but success against them!  Have you even ever seen the Rangers lose to the Flyers?"

The answer is "no."  I've followed this season of the New York Rangers closer than I have any other season for any other team, but the truth is that I only started following the team as closely as I do since the playoffs last season.  I've seen all seven of the Rangers last games versus Philly, and New York won all 7.

I told him about my hatred of Philly in general that carries over from other sports, particularly baseball.  But that isn't the real reason that I have chosen the Flyers as the club I most love to hate when there are several other deserving franchises (the Devils, Bruins and Islanders come to mind).

My father has followed hockey his entire life, and I regret that my newfound hockey obsession didn't kick in years ago so that we could have shared in the Rangers successes and struggles together.  He lived through the 1970's and the Broad Street Bullies.  He tells me of the rage and misery he was put through as if it happened yesterday.

It's odd that I feel that I've inherited a passionate hatred of a club I have only seen for a couple years, but that's the way I feel.  If for no other reason, I need to keep the torch of hatred burning for my dear father.

Do I hate rival clubs more than I love my favorites?  I can't tell anymore.  I like to think that's not the case, but who am I to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment